Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Is This a New Year's Resolution?

Late in 2006 I sidestepped my natural inclination to procrastinate and started working on a writing project. Fiction, not theater-related (so I'm still not really using my college degree), but still an actual artistic endeavor.

Unfortunately, I seem to have the most success writing in the morning before work, which is when I'm supposed to be at the gym. However, even though I succeeded in motivating myself to start writing again, the writing is a demotivation (you can tell I'll be a good writer because I make up words) to working out. My pride in writing is undercut by my shame in having barely gone to the gym during the last few months.

So, in 2007 I need to figure out how to balance both writing and working out. Maybe it's okay for me to go to the gym only three mornings a week--Tuesday, Thursday and one weekend day--instead of the 4-5 I think I should be going. Then I would be free to write before work on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Writing three days a week is better than not writing at all, just as working out three days a week is better than not going to the gym at all.

But let's not call this a New Year's resolution. People have a tendency not to keep those.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve - First you Dad must apologize for not keeping up with your blog. Second, I did not know that you are an aspiring author! I think that is terrific - something I have also wanted to do (in the back of my mind, at least). But I have never done it because I can't imagine what I would write about.

Dad